The Cobb Land Trust took possession of a piece of property
adjacent to acreage that Cobb County purchased with green space funds.
The small hill on the county's property was home to a signal tower used
by the Union Army as they approached Atlanta. It provided the Union Army
with a clear view of the largest obstacle in their path - Kennesaw Mountain.
This hill was endangered by nearby subdivision development until alert
citizens of the area organized to seek a better solution.
Wallis Farm Task Force
Chair, Bob Erickson, discusses the future of
the yet to be built passive park with a group of Cobb County Master Gardener volunteers.
|Through negotiations with the developer and the
cooperation of the Cobb County Board of Commissioners, The Cobb Land Trust was
given a 1.1 acre parcel of land. The county purchased a 5.5 acre parcel of
land with green space funds designated by the state of Georgia. Both
have offered their property to the National Park Service to be used in
conjunction with the neighboring battlefield park. |
|Developer Robert Harris Homes developed a 10-space parking lot on the CLT property, to facilitate access to the historic area. The
entrance to their new Wallis Farm subdivision will separate the passive park
from another historic site- the Wallis House.
The Wallis House, built between 1835 and 1836, stands about a mile from the
Kennesaw National Battlefield, near Burnt Hickory Road and Barrett Parkway.
In this house Union General O. O. Howards made his headquarters. A Georgia
historical marker outside the home states:
| 2007 Update|
Cobb County and The Cobb Land Trust
Inc have each offered their properties to the National Park Service for
incorporation into the Kennesaw National Battlefield Park.
We are awaiting word on
approval of this offer.
| "June 19-22, 1864 Following the withdrawal of Johnston's forces from the
Mud Creek-Brushy Mtn. line, June 19, to the final one, which included Kennesaw Mtn., Howard's 4th
A.C moved E. from Hardee's salient.
Astride this, the Burnt Hickory rd., the corps advanced toward Kennesaw until halted by
a counter-attack from the mtn. An intrenched position was established at the York house,
one mile E. which line was later occupied by the 15th Corps of the Army of the Tennessee."
| The Wallis House served both Union and Confederate troops, as both headquarters and hospital.
John Cissell, superintendent of Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park, hopes to add the
house to the park property. It would be restored to it's Civil War state. If the house is acquired,
a sidewalk along Burnt Hickory would connect the property to the already existing passive park.
For more information about battles in the area, go to the Kolb Farm Coalition
page of this site.