Kolb Farm Coalition
On December 2, 2002, the Kolb Farm Coalition transferred a 4.3 acre tract of
land to the Kennesaw National Battlefield Park in Kennesaw, GA. The
property, at the corner of Powder Springs and Cheatham Hill Roads, is across the
street from the historic Kolb Farm house.
The restored log farm house was used by Union General Joseph Hooker during
the battle in which General John Bell Hood's Confederate soldiers were repulsed
in an attack in June 1864.
According to archeologist Ransom Bennett, three picket lines were found on
the property, apparently built by the soldiers of the Kentucky Federal Regiment
1864 Battle of Kolb Farm. The trenches varied in length from 40 to
329 feet, accounting for about one third of the tract that was saved. No
artifacts were found on the site in preliminary surveys, probably because it was
farmed after the Civil War.
The Kolb Farm Coalition raised $30,000, which, when combined with green space
funds from Cobb County, allowed for
purchase of the land. The tract was
then deeded to the Kennesaw National Battlefield Park.
The task force members decided to remain active in pursuing other pieces of
land that are contiguous to the national battlefield site and to remain watchful
for other inappropriate development plans that would impinge upon the historic
ambience of the area.